Middle School - MIDDLE SCHOOL DEAN OF ACADEMICS
Second Baptist School is currently seeking a MIDDLE SCHOOL DEAN OF ACADEMICS for the 2020-2021 school year.
Position Title: Middle School Dean of Academics
Date Posted: February 2020
Office: A Building
Reports To: Head of Middle School
Work Hours: 7:30 AM - 4 PM
Work Calendar: Eleven Months (August - June)
The middle school dean of academics is embedded in the life of the school, understanding the faculty and student experience from an academic and social perspective. A coach to faculty, the middle school dean of academics is skilled at understanding classroom dynamics from both a pedagogical and a management perspective. The middle school dean of academics observes and evaluates faculty in conjunction with the head of middle school. This position also provides leadership in the areas of curriculum, instruction, assessment, and planning, as well as professional development. The middle school dean of academics also performs day-to-day administrative and operational tasks.
- Middle School Academic Programs and Faculty Development
- Implement and support the goals and vision determined by the head of middle school.
- In conjunction with the head of middle school, observe and evaluate middle school faculty in their classroom instruction.
- Coach and model research-based instructional strategies.
- Assist in program implementation and curriculum development.
- Collaborate with teachers in developing and implementing plans designed to differentiate classroom instruction.
- Assist in determining effective methods for the integration of curriculum standards, instructional strategies, and the developmental use of authentic assessment.
- Assist in identifying professional development needs and developing long-range professional development plans.
- Middle School Personnel Matters
- Make recommendations to the head of middle school regarding hiring, retention and assignment of faculty and support staff.
- Lead new faculty orientation and coordinate in-service training for all faculty.
- Regularly observe and coach current faculty and support staff to ensure performance is consistent with the mission and passion of Second Baptist School.
- Assist in the annual evaluation of faculty and staff.
- Middle School Administrative Duties
- Maintain a visible presence within the middle school.
- Serve as a contributing and active member of the middle school administrative team and the curriculum team.
- Promote a culture that reflects the school’s mission and values.
- Effectively communicate the school’s strengths and characteristics to prospective families, and assist in the admission process by interviewing and evaluating applicants.
- Provide administrative supervision at school athletic events, dances and other extracurricular events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Personal and Professional Growth and Development
In accordance with the Second Baptist School Portrait of a Graduate, candidates must possess a continued desire to learn. Participating in professional development opportunities throughout the year, networking with like-minded peers outside of Second Baptist School, and focusing on accomplishing goals is a must. Through the generosity of the Second Baptist School community, monetary support is given for participation in applicable professional development opportunities around the country.
- Possess a strong Christian testimony and a calling to serve as a positive Christian role model to our students.
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution; a master’s degree in education preferred.
- Three to five years of independent/private school administrative experience preferred.
- Have exceptional written and verbal communication skills along with strong organizational and multitasking skills.
- Be able to use technology with confidence and ease and have a working knowledge of Google Suite (i.e. Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc.)
- Have the heart to provide exceptional customer service to all members of the community.
- Be a dedicated and loyal team member supporting all school activities and school-wide initiatives.
- Be a responsible steward of the school’s resources and a personal commitment to support the school’s fundraising efforts as able.
- Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- This job functions in a standard professional office environment.
- This role regularly utilizes standard office equipment and requires one to work at a desk for extended periods of time.
- Due to the nature of events in this role, candidates must be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
Independent school experience and prior knowledge of Second Baptist Church and School are considered a plus. Candidates should click the REQUEST AN APPLICATION button to begin the process.