Upper School - DIRECTOR OF COLLEGE GUIDANCE
Second Baptist School is currently seeking a full-time DIRECTOR OF COLLEGE GUIDANCE for the 2019-2020 school year in upper school.
The DIRECTOR OF COLLEGE GUIDANCE has overall responsibility for guiding upper school students and families through the transition to post-secondary education. The director of college guidance oversees the associate director of college guidance as well as the registrar. Additionally, the director of college guidance serves as the upper school testing coordinator.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS/ABILITIES REQUIRED. To perform this job successfully, candidates must:
- Have a strong desire to be a part of the leadership team at Second Baptist School, a Christian college-preparatory school, which is a ministry of Second Baptist Church.
- Have at least three or more years of experience in college counseling, college admissions or high school counseling.
JOB SUMMARY. Essential functions of the job include but are not limited to the following:
- Review and actively take steps to improve the Office of College Guidance and its functions each year.
- Meet with parents to discuss and provide information about their student’s college admissions process.
- Meet with parents to discuss and provide information regarding their student’s financial aid options.
- Oversee the fall application process as students finalize their college lists and submit applications.
- Visit college campuses to establish and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with college admissions staffs.
- Work closely with parents, their students and the athletics department to successfully navigate the NCAA Clearing House process.
- Oversee student and parent use of the online database Naviance.
- Organize and oversee all aspects of PSAT and Advanced Placement testing on campus.
- Assist with planning and execution of Senior Retreat.
- Organize and manage the SBS College Day held on campus each fall semester.
- Organize, manage and serve as chaperone on the SBS Interim Term Texas College Tour taken during the spring semester. Communicate with alumni relations coordinator to visit with SBS alumni at Texas colleges and universities.
- Other duties as assigned.
CANDIDATE SUMMARY. We seek the following in qualified candidates:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution; a master’s degree is preferred.
- A strong Christian testimony and a calling to serve as a positive Christian role model to our students.
- A heart to provide exceptional customer service to all members of the community.
- A desire to lead and support all school-wide initiatives.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in technology and strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- A responsible steward of the school’s resources and a personal commitment to support the school’s fundraising efforts as able.
- A strong work ethic and organizational skills.
- The ability to communicate a vision for the Office of College Guidance and lead others in the fulfillment of it.
Advanced Placement training/experience, independent school teaching, and prior knowledge of Second Baptist Church and School are all considered a plus. Candidates should click the REQUEST AN APPLICATION button to begin the process.