Librarian - Middle School
Second Baptist School is currently seeking a full-time LIBRARIAN for middle school. To begin the application process, click on the REQUEST AN APPLICATION button.
For a detailed job summary, continue reading.
A Second Baptist School LIBRARIAN must be able to plan, organize and implement an appropriate instructional program that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential. Work is performed under the supervision of the head of middle school, the dean of students and the dean of academics.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS/ABILITIES REQUIRED
To perform this job successfully, candidates must be willing and able to:
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Report to work on a regular and punctual basis.
- Perform other related work to accomplish the objectives of the total school program.
- Meet professional education requirements of Second Baptist School.
We seek the following in qualified candidates:
- A master’s degree or higher from an accredited institution is preferred
- State certification in teaching in the appropriate subject area
- A minimum of two (2) years of successful experience as a classroom teacher or school librarian
- A valid Texas School Library certificate
- Proven leadership in library media services and/or instructional skills to work with staff, students, and families
- A strong Christian testimony and a calling to serve as a positive Christian role model to our students
- A heart to provide exceptional customer service to all members of the community
- A desire to lead and support all school-wide initiatives
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in technology, highly organized and ability to multi-task
- A responsible steward of school resources and a personal commitment to support school fundraising efforts as able
The job includes but is not limited to the following middle school specific functions:
- Operations of the library
- Prepare, administer and maintain accurate records related to the library budget
- Provide reference service and reader’s advisory
- Maintain a comprehensive and efficient system for cataloging all print and non-print materials
- Maintain an efficient system for circulation and retrieval of all library materials
- Train and supervise library volunteers in the performance of their duties
- Schedule the use of the library for maximum accessibility to digital resources and print materials
- Weed materials from the collection according to the CREW guidelines
- Maintain accurate records of the library’s holdings and statistics as needed including inventory
- Create an appropriate climate in the library for middle school students that reflects the philosophy of the school
- Participate actively in professional library organizations including HAISLN
- Remain current in literature, as related to the middle school students and faculty, including professional literature
- Keep administration, faculty, staff, students and parents informed of library program goals, objectives and resources
- Create and schedule library programs to enrich middle school students’ literary experiences
- Create and maintain a positive and welcoming atmosphere in the library
- Assist the Office of Admissions with tours in the library to provide information about the library and its programs
- Advocate for the promotion of the library to the school community
- Evaluate, select and order new library instructional materials and digital resources appropriate to the mission and values of the school
- Provide middle school library orientation programs
- Provide formal and informal instructional resources for middle school students and faculty
- Encourage the love of reading through book talks, reading incentives, book club, mobile library, and other initiatives
- Assist students in the selection of appropriate library resources
- Teach research skills and inquiry methods to middle school students and faculty
- Assist middle school students in one-on-one instruction to learn research and cite sources correctly
- Assist middle school students and faculty in the use of technology as appropriately needed
- Work cooperatively with the lower and upper school librarians to assure a cohesive school library program
- Work cooperatively with teachers on the selection of instructional resources
- Collaborate with staff for the effective use of library services, resources and facilities including the creation of LibGuides for research and the use of NoodleTools for citations
Prior knowledge of Second Baptist Church and School is considered a plus. Candidates should click Request an Application
to begin the application process.